002CR - Camp Roberts T-shirt - SUMMER 2018 (First Edition of 7 Tees)
$95.00 Sold out
Camp Roberts holds some history with the Wilkes family as my father was stationed there during the Vietnam War. We visited the historic base last year and took a liking to it; so when Victory-1945 came across this WWII t-shirt graphic (see fourth photo at left) the design concept was born.
Our Victory-1945 design holds true to the original 1940's graphic, but the unsightly shield has been switched to a more favorable, and still period correct, US Army shield we found on a silk sweetheart pillowcase (see fourth photo).
This war-era tee is being offered in a limited First Edition run of seven (7) pieces and is silk screened on a Runabout Simple Milk (off-white) t-shirt with royal blue water based ink. Each shirt comes with a dual sided graphic hang tag, hand inked with tee specifications and the edition number, which is attached to a vintage USN brass laundry safety pin with patriotic red, white, and blue twine.
This design is 100% Made in the USA featuring the best period correct t-shirt available. Runabout Goods Simple Tee is 100% tubular cotton, pre-shunk (sanforized), with traditional 1940's fit, blind stitch hems, 3/4" bias cut rib collar with 1/8" double needle cover-stitch, and is Made in Los Angeles, CA. The color is Milk (slightly off-white).
A brief history of Camp Roberts:
Camp Roberts is located on U.S. Highway 101, which follows the old Mission Trail. This camp officially began its mission as a replacement training center in March 1941. At that time it ranked with the world's largest military training facilities. It may still be so in terms of training capacity, and so far as it is known features the largest parade ground (the length of fourteen football fields) on any military facility.
The main Garrison was constructed to accommodate 23,000 officers and troops. The East Garrison, across the Salinas River, could accommodate 6,000 troops. The 26th Field Artillery Brigade was the first unit to occupy the East Garrison.
436,000 World War II Infantry and Field Artillery troops passed through an intensive seventeen week training cycle. Both the Infantry and Field Artillery Replacement Training Centers achieved enviable proficiency records where it counted, in the combat zones around the world to which their graduates were sent. A peak population was reached in 1945 when 45,000 troops were quartered in large tent cities located at the fringes of the Main Garrison.
Besides the two Training Centers, Camp Roberts also had a 750-bed hospital complex (also supplemented with tent cities), and internment compounds for Italian and German prisoners of war. Many of the Italian POW's joined a special Army Service Unit after the surrender of Italy, and spent the remainder of the war as workers at Camp Roberts.